Formed 8th May 1943, The Battalions Commander Major Gerhard Willing was appointed July 20 1943.
Concentrated in St Polten before it was sent to Sennelager where it received 45 new Tigers.
Later on the refurbished 506th with new Tiger II's fought in the west and was sent to Arnhem after the start of operation Market Garden. It was encircled and forced to surrender to US forces in April 1945.
Click to read the History of the seldom read about 506th
Heavy Weapons Section